Fresh apricots are in season for a relatively short time during the summer. Today I am going to share a simple recipe for making your own apricot preserves.
- 1 Pound pitted fresh apricots, cut into quarters
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 6-8 stems lavender (flowering)
- 1 pouch liquid pectin
- Bring apricots, sugar, honey, lemon juice, ginger and zest to a simmer, stirring often. Wrap lavender in a piece of cheesecloth and add to simmering fruit, cooking for about 8 minutes. Remove lavender and stir in pectin.
- Remove from heat and jar according to proper canning procedures, or pack in containers and refrigerate.
- Once opened, preserves will keep refrigerated up to 4 months.
- Preserve can be used as a jam on toast, or is delicious served with cheeses after a meal.
And don’t forget about apricot preserve cacke and bow tie cookies with apricot preserves!